Experienced Prep Cook (Part-time)
Independence Center is a nonprofit healthcare organization specializing in mental health services. The Independence Center has been providing psychosocial rehabilitation, group and individual therapy, case management, vocational, and crisis services to adults with chronic mental health needs in Lake County for over 30 years. Independence Center employees are an essential asset in improving the lives of the individuals we serve.
Independence Center is seeking a part-time cook to join our team. Our ideal candidate will demonstrate professionalism, attention to detail, and exhibit enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
Provide quality service and attention to detail within the scope of the nutritional needs of the persons served. Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with all staff and members.
- Adhere to all sanitary regulations governing the handling, preparation & serving of food.
- Prepares a variety of dishes and other food items for members, guests, staff, including special meals for members with restricted dietary needs.
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of all foods necessary in connection with lunch, snacks, parties, and meetings.
- Obtain food supplies for the next meal. Clean worktables, meat blocks, refrigerators/freezers.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for the quality of products served.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards, and kitchen rules, policies, and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary workstation
- Follows proper plate presentation for all dishes.
- Prepare & cook foods according to standardized recipes in the correct amount needed. Prepare main entre, vegetables, and utilize leftovers.
- Be efficient in operating cooking equipment. Report need for equipment repair to dietary management.
- Dishwashing required.
- Remain current in food preparation, modified diets, sanitation & meal service.
- Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food and supplies, as necessary.
- Ensure all food procedures are followed in accordance with established policies. Wash and clean utensils/dishes. Sweep and mop floors as directed. Keep work areas clean, dry, and free of hazardous equipment, supplies, garbage, etc.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
- Follows the implemented checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in their duties when available.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Culinary certificate or degree preferred.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and background screening.
- Restaurant experience preferred.
- Maintains a neat, professional appearance.
- Able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
- Ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions, and to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, members, visitors, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
- Patience, politeness, and jovial personality.
- Willing to work with members based on skill level at which they are currently functioning.
- Must be able to push, pull, move, and/or lift a minimum of 25 pounds up to a max of 50 pounds to a minimum height of 4 feet unassisted and be able to push, pull move, and/or carry such weight a minimum distance of 50 feet.
The Independence Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination in all phases of employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and any other classifications protected by federal, state and local law.
9:30 am until 1:30 pm or10:00 am until 2 pm
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/ATSApply.aspx?1drb5Z1cGG2KXE%2b23WwCqAd