A new tab will open
Category: EH & Safety
Position Type: FT Sal/WhCo NoOT
About the Organization
Sun Chemical, a member of the DIC group, is a leading producer of printing inks, coatings and supplies, pigments, polymers, liquid compounds, solid compounds, and application materials. Together with DIC, Sun Chemical has annual sales of more than $7.5 billion and over 20,000 employees supporting customers around the world.
- Process Safety Management (PSM) activities (e.g., assist in the development of management systems, lead Process Hazard Assessments (PHAs), conduct risk assessments, and assist with Hazard reviews)
- Review Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) for new Raw Material (RM) and RM extensions requests. (based on the content of the SDS, regulatory considerations, and other EHS issues related to the safe use, handling, and storage of the material). Understand (and implement) the hierarchy of hazard controls as a standard practice in the workplace.
- Participate and/or Lead internal SunCare Audits, identifying potential hazards by interviewing employees, inspecting facilities, machinery, and other safety equipment.
- Participate and/or Lead PSM/ RMP audits and internal Process Safety Principle (PSP) Gap Assessments. To include, coordinating audit resources and reporting within the structure of the corporate auditing program.
- Participate in Incident Investigations, Root Cause Analysis (5 Why, Fishbone) to determine root-causes and develop corrective actions that drive global solutions and reduce the company’s overall risk.
- Assist sites with OSHA recordkeeping, maintaining accurate statistics and providing statistical analysis.
- Function as a Corporate Liaison – Coordinate and facilitate a monthly EHS conference call with all assigned plants and facilitate EHS support to assigned sites. Provide mentoring and training for site personnel.
- Maintain efficiency with health and safety regulations and standards (e.g., OSHA, NFPA, etc.), ensuring that operations and products maintain compliance in the handling of flammable and combustible materials, including combustible dust. Review Corporate EHS Policies, Procedures, and Programs, provide technical expertise review and recommend improvements where necessary. Maintain and apply knowledge of internal policies, regulations, and industrial processes.
- Assist with application of the Corporate Management of Change (MOC) Process and the management software system platform.
- Understand Industrial Hygiene testing, assessments, and reports. e.g., understand the risks related to noise levels and the harm to workers’ hearing, recommending ways to reduce the noise level through changes to the building, reducing exposure time, by having workers wear proper hearing protection, and/or by improving working conditions, etc.,
- Other duties as assigned.
* The position may be based in Cincinnati, OH, Northlake, IL or Charleston, SC.
- BS Chemical Engineering (minimum) from an ABET-accredited engineering program
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred (must be willing to obtain within a year of hire)
- Minimum of 5-years of process/ operating experience at a facility level.
- Minimum 10-years overall practical experience.
- Previous PSM related industry experience.
- Preferred specialty chemical experience (specifically Inks, Coatings, Pigments and Paints)
- Ability to read/ create/ update P&IDs, PFDs.
- Familiarity with NFPA, NEC, OSHA, specifically dust control systems, handling flammables, and electric classifications
- Working knowledge of process logic, control systems and safety system design.
- Certified Safety Professional Preferred, Minimum OSHA 10/30 certification.
- Must be familiar with the fourteen elements of Process Safety Management (PSM). Must have:
- Lead and/or participated in 5-year PHA revalidations and
- Lead and/or participated in the 3-year certification audit of the PSM program.
Project Management/ Leadership/Creativity:
- Creativity – As unique situations arise, individual must be able to adapt to the needs of the stakeholders, which may require thinking outside the box to achieve safety objectives
- Critical-thinking skills – Must identify potential hazards and problems before they cause material damage or become a health threat. Must be able to sense hazards to humans and property wherever they may arise in the workplace.
- Problem-solving skills – Must consider processes from more than one system at the same time. Must try to anticipate a range of human reactions to the changes recommended.
- Leadership skills – Accountability; proficiency in technical support, troubleshooting safety features; ability to focus on safety. Must be able to work in a collaborative consensus building team environment. Must be a self-starter with solid decision-making skills. Comfortable communicating with people with a range of education, experience and levels of management.
Sun Chemical is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
To Apply: Click Here