Sewickley Academy is seeking to hire a Director of Finance & Operations for July 2021. The ideal candidate will be able to oversee all aspects of the school’s finances with the primary responsibilities for strategic financial planning, budgeting, accounting, and reporting. The DFO also is responsible for all human resources oversight. The DFO reports to the Head of School and serves as a key member of the senior leadership team and several Board of Trustees committees.
This position offers a competitive salary, plus excellent benefits, including a premium-free health plan option, an excellent retirement plan, generous leave time, and tuition benefits programs.
ABOUT SEWICKLEY ACADEMY
As the Pittsburgh region’s oldest independent coeducational school (Pre-K through Grade 12), Sewickley Academy is distinguished by not only its rigorous academics and outstanding faculty, but also by its student-centered approach to learning and teaching, in which every child is challenged to explore and excel to their highest ability, and its commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
Sewickley Academy faculty and staff help to create an environment of encouragement and support by inspiring students to reach their goals and develop a love of learning. We value and encourage different voices and opinions.
We work collaboratively, and interdepartmental teamwork is what keeps us engaged in the success of our school as a whole.
• Oversee an operating budget of over $17 million supported by an endowment of $40 million.
• Create, monitor, and sustain high standards of financial management and oversight, including for budgets, expenditures, revenues, payroll, and taxes
• Lead the annual budget preparation and approval process
• Oversee all financial investments and banking activities
• Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and any additional applicable standards
• Collaborate with the Head of the School on financial aspects of strategic planning initiatives
• Prepare financial records for annual independent audit and assist the audit team in preparation of the annual tax return, form 990, and other returns including form 5500
• Oversee compliance with all federal and state financial reporting requirements
• Provide financial reports to school leadership, finance committee, and the Board of Trustees
• Establish internal auditing procedures for financial and accounting systems
• Provide supervision and direction to the members of the Business Office, Buildings & Grounds and Human Resources Departments
Facilities & Operations Management
• Supervise the Director of Buildings & Grounds in establishing and maintaining standards of plant maintenance and repairs commensurate with the financial resources available
• Oversee facilities, transportation, and security
• Coordinate the purchase of goods and services for the school
• Supervise the school transportation program, including maintenance of the school’s fleet and creation of transportation routes, schedules, and outside transportation contracts
• Provide supervision and guidance to Human Resources Director
• Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements with respect to labor, benefits, and human resource issues and required employee policies and training
• Provide appropriate benchmark data and information to the Head of School and/or the Board, as appropriate, for compensation comparisons and the preparation of employment offers or arrangements
• Administer the School’s benefit programs, maintain the benefits policy plan, and oversee vendor selection
• Serve as employee benefit plan administrator
• Be conversant with federal, state, and local laws relating to wage and hours regulations and reporting
Risk Management & Compliance
• Oversee risk management to ensure the safety of staff and students and to cover the liability of the school
• Maintain a risk management program for the School, including recommending and securing proper levels of insurance coverage, maintenance of health and safety policies and forms, ensuring the Safety Committee operates effectively, and overseeing the Emergency Preparedness Plan
• Act as the legal liaison for the School
• Provide information to federal and state agencies as required by law
Enrollment & Financial Aid
• Analyze, review, and approve financial aid awards in collaboration with the financial aid committee
• Serve as a member of the Financial Aid Committee
• Work with parents on financial issues relevant to their children’s enrollment at the School
• Proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make sound decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment
• Ability to inspire confidence and work collaboratively at all levels of the School
• Communicate clearly, accurately, and concisely
• Be a flexible team player with a sense of humor
• Have an appreciation for the School’s Mission and Corer Values and then translate it into tactical actions. Understand the “big picture” and what it takes to achieve it
• Demonstrated ability to work with a range of stakeholders: colleagues, Board, and volunteers
• Bachelor’s degree required; CPA and/or MBA preferred
• Ten plus years of progressive accounting experience in a school setting or non-profit organization(s), including work with nonprofit boards is a plus; independent school experience a plus
• Experience demonstrating skills and accomplishments in helping drive process and operational improvements
• Proactive with strong leadership and proven supervisory skills
• Possess a thorough understanding of general management including: finance, systems, human resources, strategic development and planning and budgeting
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities
• Strong computer aptitude including expertise with Excel and applicable accounting software (Quicken)
• Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects and deadlines
IN ORDER TO APPLY
All interested applicants applying for this position should submit their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements here:
Sewickley Academy is committed to having an inclusive community where all members are treated with dignity and respect. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Academy does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of gender/gender-identity, sex, race or ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, genetic information, family or marital status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/ATSApply.aspx?0GJT4SJYjS6u8p56irz2BAz