The Ohio Valley Educational Cooperative (OVEC) is a consortium of 15 school districts serving over 155,000 students in North Central Kentucky. Established in 1976, the Cooperative provides a vehicle for conducting regional planning, development, and implementation of educational programs on a continuing basis. OVEC offers programs that serve member school districts, their student populations and families.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
PROGRAM: Early Head Start
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director
Instructional Family Service Manager
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma/GED required. At a minimum, have a CDA credential or a state-awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate or baccalaureate degree (OR) are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be completed within two years of the time of hire. One year of experience in early childhood programs preferred.
Must be able to stand, sit, bend and walk for periods of time to meet job requirements. Must have physical and TB test, and be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must have reliable transportation to travel to and from work, home visits, trainings and meetings (will receive mileage reimbursement based on OVEC’s travel policy). All Head Start positions must clear and pass state criminal history records check and sex offender registry check prior to hire date and pass the Child Abuse and Neglect state registry check (CAN) within 90 days of hire.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direct supervision of the Primary Caregiver, the Caregiver will assist in managing the classroom, playground supervision of children, preparing materials for learning activities, participating with and guiding children in learning activities, assist in providing safe and sanitary environments for children and working with parents/legal guardians in reference to planning for children’s needs.
- Comply with Head Start Performance Standards as well as Kentucky Childcare Licensing regulations and Head Start and OVEC Policies and Procedures.
- Understand and comply with Child Care Licensing, STARS, ITERS (Infant Toddler Environmental Rating Scale), and ECERS (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale) as applicable to position.
- Assist Primary Caregiver in planning and preparation of learning activities for infant and toddler children.
- Use daily routines as teachable moments.
- Assist Primary Caregiver in the implementation of daily curriculum.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and organized classroom.
- Encourage parental involvement in program.
- Participate and interact with children.
- Assist Primary Caregiver in discussing progress with parents/legal guardians.
- Assist with classroom, lunchtime, naptime, and playground supervision of children.
- Provide for health and safety of children.
- Assist in screenings/assessments and anecdotal observations of children.
- Assist in daily health observation of children.
- Participate in all trainings and staff meetings sponsored by agency or recommended trainings for professional learning.
- Promote personal care routines including toileting and/or diapering, hand washing, brushing teeth, and other preventative health practices.
- Help promote literacy within the classroom.
- Attend monthly site meetings.
- Assist with maintaining required paperwork and meeting deadlines.
- Assume responsibilities and duties upon the absence of the Primary Caregiver.
- Establish and maintain a positive, productive working relationship with all staff.
- Arrange for coverage of the classroom with instructions for the substitute. Notify the other staff at your site about your absence and who will be substituting for the day.
- Work with children who are “at Risk” or have special needs.
- Assist families with transition between Early Head Start, Head Start, and other preschool programs.
- Meet with Family Advocate weekly to discuss specific needs of families or attendance issues, and collaborate to resolve any areas of concern.
- Additional duties as assigned.
COMPENSATION: Annual contract with a maximum contract of 200 days. Salary based on experience in accordance to OVEC’s Head Start/Early Head Start Classified Salary Schedule.
RETIREMENT Kentucky Retirement System-CERS
* Paid Time Off, Sick Days and Holidays (Days dependent on annual contract days)
• Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Short and Long Term Disability
• 403b/401k Plan
• Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Life Insurance
RATE OF PAY $10.73-$13.06 Based on education and years of experience • Tuition Assistance Program