Director of Broadband Technology
Salary: up to $150,000 Commensurate with Experience
New York, NY
With the City making the largest-ever municipal investment to further broadband adoption and end the digital divide, maximizing the positive impact of the NYC Internet Master Plan requires deep network, infrastructure, and 4G and 5G technology expertise. Such broadband technology expertise will ensure that City decisions are cost-efficient and well-informed. That’s why it is essential that the City’s strategy development, project planning, and public-private partnerships be guided not only by the City’s broadband principles, but also by the latest technical expertise.
- Develop and advocate for technical standards for universal broadband in collaboration with MOCTO staff and key stakeholders at City agencies;
- Define system-level design components, including but not limited to network electronics, physical support infrastructure, fiber plant, distribution and access network electronics, wireless equipment mounting assets, and network management and monitoring systems;
- Develop functional system objectives and performance requirements to drive subsequent design phases, including requirements for the design, sizing, and distribution of network components and performance criteria to evaluate network uptime and operations;
- Develop system-level design summary materials that define the physical relationship between the various network components, and encompass the essential interactions and dependencies of the system-level design components;
- Prepare reference designs encompassing all design components, coordinating across the appropriate design teams to provide a template for site/neighborhood-specific scenarios to aid in the efficient deployment of large-scale networks;
- Refine unit pricing and cost estimate models to inform the budget planning process for later phases;
- Work with relevant City agency stakeholders to advise on use of specific City facilities (including rooftops, rooms, street furniture, and poles) to host and propagate broadband networks;
- Work with relevant City agencies to identify network system design opportunities that may align with other City capital planning goals;
- Collaborate with other relevant MOCTO staff on solicitations and implementation to advance the development of citywide infrastructure that enables multiple network technologies and multiple operators, including: Support the design of Requests for Proposals and review responses, advising on technical, operational, and business planning elements;
- Advise on the selection and procurement of a vendor or vendors, particularly in the evaluation of proposed network design and cost;
- Work closely with the selected vendor(s) to direct and finalize system level design;
- Review technical elements of completed projects for adherence to project requirements and citywide standards;
- Serve as a subject matter expert for standard and emerging broadband technologies;
- Advise on strategy and plans for network operations and expansions;
- Work with the MOCTO staff to inform all City broadband-related programs, plans and capital projects, including identifying key progress indicators and other metrics that measure broadband proliferation and performance;
- Oversee a team with technical and operational responsibilities to support the above activities, including managing the staff, coordinating with contractors, and consultants.
- Bachelors or masters degree with 6+ years of work experience;
- Background in telecommunications engineering and wide knowledge of both traditional and emerging as well as wireline and wireless technologies;
- Understanding of emerging optical networking and wireless technologies, ideally with a demonstrated understanding of 4G/5G cellular deployment, Citizen Broadband Radio Service, and unlicensed millimeter wave fixed wireless access;
- Demonstrated commitment to digital equity and inclusive economic development;
- Experience managing a team in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated passion for educating others and experience collaborating with non-technical colleagues to achieve shared organization objectives or policy goals;
- Demonstrated experience in the design and delivery of complex projects, with an emphasis on telecommunications and broadband infrastructure design and delivery;
- Experience working in both the public and private/nonprofit sectors preferred, ideally with knowledge of conditions and key stakeholders in New York City;
- Comfort using key performance indicators to inform policy decisions;
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization;
- Ability to influence others even when they may not be directly accountable to you;
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing;
- A growth mindset.
1.BA/BS including 24 credits in the field of voice and/or data telecommunications or related field and 4 years of related work experience where 18 months must have been in an executive, managerial, or administrative capacity.
2. An Associates degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 12 credits in the field and 5 years’ work experience as described in “1” above;
3. Education and/or experience equivalent.
NYC Residency is required within 90 days of appointment
Click on the “Apply Now” button
Apply Online: Go to and search for Job ID #455724
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW
APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT APPROVALS
Visit us at
The Department of Information Technology & Telecommunications
and the City of New York are equal opportunity employers.
DoITT participates in E-Verify
– provided by Dice
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?%2bGX3pa8E%2fLXNTrn9iR0YSgz