The Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (NGVC) Nutrition Manager/ Nutritional Health Coach (NHC) position is a dual multi-faceted position, which emphasizes employee/customer education, sales and promotion, community relationship building, and retail operations. As the store’s nutrition professional, the primary responsibility of the NHC position is to provide science-based nutrition education/training to the store crew, our customers and the community as a whole, and drive store sales. The NHC is responsible for driving sales throughout the entire store, the supplement department, and the Nutrient to Know About specifically. The Nutrition Manager/NHC position is integral to fulfilling Natural Grocers guiding founding principle of providing nutrition education to empower our communities and employees to achieve health.
A. The Nutrition Manager/Nutritional Health Coach functions as the professional nutrition education resource for customers, employees and community members providing information on dietary supplements, food quality, nutrition, and company differentiators; drives store sales through community outreach, employee education, and promotion of NHC services, products, and events; and is a vitamin aisle employee with the same job responsibilities as all vitamin aisle employees.
B. Skills required:
Excellent public speaking skills
Confidence in front of an audience providing cooking demonstrations
Ability to engage customers and start conversations about products to drive sales
Excellent interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational skills and priority management
Self-directed and able to maximize time management
Able to work well with a team and accept constructive feedback
Motivated to grow and develop knowledge and skills
C. Nutrition Manager/Nutritional Health Coach Weekly Overview
1. For the NHC to successfully complete all responsibilities outlined in the job description the schedule requires a 40 hour workweek.
a. Two days working in the vitamin aisles
b. One day conducting individual coaching sessions with customers.
c. One day “office” time:
Seek outreach opportunities and develop community relationships
Develop and implement local store marketing strategies to promote the in-store customer nutrition education classes, cooking demonstrations, and other store events and services in the store and out in the community.
Prepare for and conduct in-store classes, employee trainings, and community outreach
Complete continued education
d. One day conducting outreach presentations, in-store customer nutrition education classes or cooking demonstrations.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH COACH DUTIES
A. Educate employees and customers about nutrition, all products, and optimal health/healthy living with the intention of supporting store sales.
1. Conduct the nutrition portion of the Health Hotline/good4u crew trainings.
2. Pull reports for employee LMS “Take-15” and Health Hotline walkthrough education.
3. Create and maintain an employee “Glad You Asked” question center.
4. Prepare for and present in-store customer nutrition education classes.
5. Prepare for and conduct outreach presentations.
B. Conduct Sit-Down/In-Store Nutritional Health Coaching Sessions
C. Build relationships with community partners by spreading awareness of Natural Grocer’s store services. This includes:
1. Seeking outreach presentation opportunities
2. Establishing relationships with practitioners who recommend supplements and coaching services to their clients
3. Promoting in-store classes and events outside of the store or on external websites
4. Researching and contacting potential groups to use the store’s meeting space
5. Researching and contacting potential guest presenters
D. Stay current with Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage NHC materials as a means of continued education.
1. Read and study the material provided by the Nutrition Education Department such as Health Hotline training material, NHC FYIs, NED bulletin and newsletters, in-store class material, continuing education, etc.
2. Follow directions for assigned health supportive statement homework.
E. Participate in Regional NHC conference calls.
F. Attend Nutritional Health Coach Meetings for ongoing training and education.
G. Conduct Book Club discussion group for customers and employees. This is an optional responsibility.
NUTRITION MANAGER DUTIES
A. Collaborate with the store manager on the development and implementation of the store’s Nutrient to Know About strategies.
B. Take an active leadership role in the planning and execution of store sales promotions, Natural Grocer’s Employee Wellness Challenges, and other initiatives coordinated by the Home Office.
C. Stay informed of key store performance metrics including Nutrient to Know About sales, turkey sales, vitamin sales/mix, and outreach coupon usage and redemption.
D. Maintain and oversee the Political Campaign Center.
E. Maintain the Customer Literature Files Cabinet.
F. Assist the Vitamin Manager with ordering books by maintaining the book department inventory, appearance, and reference books.
G. Assist with creating product displays (for events, featured books, and company sales focuses).
H. Work with the grocery and vitamin managers to make sure the items that you recommend are consistently stocked. Maintain a written list and give the list to the appropriate department managers.
I. Coach staff on using health supportive statements when engaging with customers.
J. Keep staff informed on talking points related to upcoming events, classes, promotions, and company initiatives.
K. Conduct new employee NHC Meet & Greets
VITAMIN AISLE DUTIES
A. Customer service is the primary responsibility of every employee. NHCs are considered key vitamin aisle employees, as a nutrition resource for customers as well as employees. While the NHC is considered a key vitamin aisle employee, he or she should be prepared to assist customers in any section/department of the store and may be assigned to work in other departments as needed.
1. Greet customers as you work in the vitamin aisle.
2. Serve as the store’s primary source of nutrition information.
3. Help customers find products.
4. Answer customer questions.
5. Answer the phone.
6. Take special orders.
7. Educate customers and help them make informed choices.
8. Engage in conversations with customers to promote sales and events.
9. Promote the Nutrient to Know About with customers.
10. Promote NHC classes and other store events and promotions to customers.
B. Serve as Event Ambassador as assigned by store manager.
C. Other vitamin aisle duties: the Vitamin Manager will provide the NHC with daily tasks when the NHC is scheduled for floor duty:
1. Stock/Back stock.
2. Face product.
3. Check product expiration dates.
4. Store cleaning.
D. Front End work. All employees are responsible for supporting cashiers and making sure customers are processed through in a timely manner. Keep in mind this is a very important aspect of customer service.
1. Be prepared to help with bagging assistance, assisting customers to their car, and cart checks when needed.
2. NHCs should use this opportunity to be a role model to other employees on how to effectively promote in-store events and their NHC services.
A. The Store Manager
1. Responsible for assigning duties to support the needs of the store.
2. Responsible for creating a set schedule that must remain the same week-to-week.
3. Responsible for performance evaluations and raise evaluations.
B. The NHC Regional Manager
1. Responsible for coordinating NHC training on-going position support and training, and evaluations.
2. Provides input to Store Manager for performance evaluations and raise evaluations.
3. If a store is not assigned an NHC Regional Manager, an NED representative will provide ongoing support to the NHC and will complete the NHC’s annual, Health Hotline employee training, and Coaching evaluations.
C. The overall supervisor of the NHC Program is the Executive Vice President of Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage.
a. Responsible for defining the parameters of the position and defining the direction of the NHC Program.
b. Will provide input to the Store Manager and NHC Regional Manager about performance for evaluation purposes.
MAINTAINING NUTRITION KNOWLEDGE AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
1. A professional position is never static. The nutrition field is a dynamic one, with new information constantly coming to light. NHCs must stay current with nutrition research, nutrition information and new developments in the field. This is in addition to the education provided by the company. NHCs must complete 16 hours of Continuing Education (CE) time on the clock each year. Opportunities for CE include reading, attending seminars, listening to recommended podcasts, webinars, and networking with other nutrition professionals.
2. If an NHC’s degree and/or certification require continuing education to maintain the degree and/or certification, then the NHC must fulfill those requirements.
LEADERSHIP AND PROFESSIONALISM
1. NHCs are to be professional at all times and provide appropriate leadership for the staff and the store.
2. NHCs are responsible for driving store sales and promotions through employee and customer education.
3….. click apply for full job details
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/ATSApply.aspx?ClHc5OEqhJNLe1FKwm%2buhwh