This position is a strategic partner in the direction and leadership of the Metropolitan Transit Authority’s (METRO) executive departments and management team. Responsible for overall management, administration and implementation of METRO’s Engineering and capital projects; management of engineering, design and construction of all METRO capital projects (light rail, bus facilities, bus rapid transit, HOV, and general mobility) comprising the regional transit plan. This includes facility design, project control, and coordination of right-of-way acquisition, engineering, and construction management. Interfaces with the community at large to determine public needs and translate those needs to the planning and development of the overall transit system. Advises the Board of Directors and President & Chief Executive Officer on matters relevant to the regional requirements for a high-capacity regional transit system. Performs duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Serves as a member of the Executive Leadership Team as an active participant/partner to meet the shared mission, vision, values and goals of METRO.
- Directs the overall management, administration and implementation of engineering, design and construction programs.
- Provides primary managerial direction and performs personnel administrative functions of direct report staff (e.g. training, supervising, work assignments, timesheets, performance evaluations, etc.) for maintaining necessary staffing, enhancing productivity of staff and ensuring necessary department outcomes are achieved.
- Ensures METRO establishes and maintains contacts with state, local and federal agencies involved in METRO projects. Directs the overall management, administration and implementation of engineering, design and construction programs.
- Directs and manages the development and design of the regional transit system including the facility design, project management and system engineering.
- Directs engineering design and construction of facilities including, light rail, bus rapid transit, HOV, bus facilities, and general mobility projects. Supervises compliance with engineering specifications and ensures quality of project development and completion.
- Coordinates with transit services delivery management to ensure that facilities meet desired objectives and that an orderly transition from construction to operation occurs.
- Directs design management, interface management, and project management for facilities, safety and system assurance.
- Directs capital projects to control estimating, scheduling and cost engineering analysis, reporting and coordination.
- Directs the overview, quality assurance and test start-up of the construction of any transit system.
- Directs the administration, coordination and supervision of work performed by outside engineering and construction firms and real estate firms.
- Directs the preparation and administration of the annual department budget.
- Directs the environmental planning efforts, ensures METRO’s capital and long-range plan are following established environmental regulations.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Requires a minimum of five to ten years’ experience in an engineering management position with extensive experience in design engineering and construction for transit, roadway and facility projects.
Experience in transportation industry/public sector preferred. Requires experience in complex budgetary and audit processes, including financial reporting as well as experience related to effective organization and personnel management, and related administrative processes.
Knowledge & Skills Required
This position requires a working knowledge of engineering techniques and principles, including project management techniques. Strong analytical skills are required to evaluate and manage engineering and construction projects. The ability to make decisions on short-term problems and establish working relationships with community partners is critical. Excellent communication (written/verbal) skills are essential. Professional Engineering license in the state of Texas is required.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?RzVBsu2CNtbP85yqQv1uIQa