Joyn Bio is a joint venture between Bayer and Ginkgo Bioworks dedicated to addressing unmetneeds in agriculture by applying synthetic biology to engineer microbes.
- Joyn Bio is looking for a Senior Microbiologist who will contribute to the screening and development of R&D processes aimed at characterizing and improving microorganisms that can efficiently colonize relevant plants for agricultural purposes.
- Ideate, design and execute experiments to characterize growth, cell/colony morphology, physiology and antibiotic resistance of various microbial organisms with support of the Joyn Bio Curation team.
- Develop assays to understand physiology and screen Joyn’s microbial strains in a high-throughput manner. Collaborate with computational biology, fermentation and analytical teams to develop and validate metabolic models of our organisms.
- Collaborate with the Microbial Engineering, Plant Microbe Interaction and Digital Sciences and Technology teams to develop genetic tractability pipelines for domestication of these microorganisms.
- Innovate and develop ways to increase efficiency of microorganism engineering through staying abreast of new technologies and bringing these technologies in-house to enhance Joyn Bio engineering platform and capabilities.
- PhD with 5+ years (or MS with 8+ years) of industrial experience in microbiology, microbial physiology, molecular biology and/or related fields.
- Broad experience with culturing and domesticating agriculturally relevant and/or plant associated microorganisms is a plus.
- Extensive experience in microbial physiology, particularly non model organisms, deep knowledge of biochemistry and metabolism, and significant proficiency in bacterial genetics and screening.
- Proven track record and passion for developing and building HTP microbial screening platform.
- Must be a detail oriented, highly organized and collaborative self-starter individual with excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Supervisory and project management experience highly desired.
- Will report into the Chassis Pipeline and Onboarding Program Director.
- Will work in close collaboration with Joyn Bio employees, and in concert with strain acquisition and characterization personnel, program directors and digital science team.
This position will be based at our Boston, Massachusetts site, and will require minimal travel.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?vHgq76jj36%2fD%2fzcxQ01hjQv