Join the HJF Team !
HJF is seeking a Research Associate II to support the Translational Imaging Facility (TIF) in Center for Neuroscience & Regenerative Medicine (CNRM) located at Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to CNRM.
This position main responsibility will be handling small animals (mice, rats and ferrets) and performing image acquisition in support of diverse research projects of the University and surrounding Agencies. These projects include treatments of injuries, diseases and pathogens in small animal models. Imaging applications will concentrate in the following modalities: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Positron Emission Tomography (PET), Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT), Computed Tomography (CT) and Bioluminescence Imaging.
- Handles small animals and performs injection, anesthesia, monitoring and other necessary procedures to be able to support animal imaging protocols.
- Performs image acquisition to include setting up equipment and using the software for MRI. PET/SPECT, CT and bioluminescence.
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks for experiments conducted.
- Assists with image reconstruction, data analysis and interpretation.
- Assists with the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and animal protocols.
- Assists with the preparation and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of complex laboratory procedures; ability to meet deadlines of projects; good communication and analytical skills. Experience with small animals, imaging and independent use of radiation is beneficial.
Minimum Education: Master’s in scientific discipline with 5+ years of relevant experience.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 3 – 5 years of relevant experience is required.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of small animals and various chemicals.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Provides guidance to collaborating staff.
Work Environment: Laboratory environment.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.