IP Counsel, Litigation
United States – California – Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company’s mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead is seeking an experienced and agile attorney to join the Intellectual Property team. This individual will be responsible for assisting with the global defense of Gilead’s patent portfolio and with defending Gilead against charges of patent infringement. The ideal candidate will thrive in a collaborative team environment.
The person in this position will, among other things:
- Assist with patent litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries.
- Provide support and contribute to the development of strategies and arguments global opposition, invalidation and revocation proceedings, including IPRs.
- Actively participating in litigation teams. This includes assisting with day-to-day tasks associated with case management, assisting with interviewing fact and expert witnesses, collaborating with outside counsel to prepare witnesses for depositions and trial, attending fact and expert depositions, and collaborating with internal and outside counsel to select experts and to prepare expert testimony.
- Assist in providing instruction to foreign litigation counsel and in the day-to-day tasks associated with multijurisdictional litigation teams.
- Assist in evaluating Gilead’s patent portfolio in advance of litigation and other activities designed to maximize the strength of the IP assets.
- On occasion, assist with and contribute to or conducting analysis of freedom-to-operate, validity, and due diligence; and preparing opinions summarizing those positions.
- Collaborate with other IP department professionals to secure patents for Gilead inventions world-wide.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the legal department and other internal departments in connection with government subpoenas and the like.
- Assist in internal document collection and production, including working with the internal e-discovery team.
- Review correspondence, arguments, memos, and briefs in support of litigation.
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally accredited law school.
- Admission to applicable state bar, registration as in-house counsel, or ability to gain admission or registration for either in applicable state within 90 days.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in biology, chemistry, pharmacy or other related life-sciences. Preference is given to individuals with a degree in immunology, oncology and/or molecular or cell biology.
- 4-7 years of attorney level experience with a primary focus on patent litigation regarding pharmaceuticals, biotechnology or life-sciences as well as experience in other areas of IP practice.
- Registration to practice before the USPTO is strongly preferred.
- Good judgment in identifying, evaluating, prioritizing and elevating issues as appropriate.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely communicate key points and to present to a variety of internal clients, consistent with experience.
- Demonstrates Gilead’s core values: Teamwork, Accountability, Inclusion, Excellence and Integrity.
- Demonstrates ability to independently identify issues, goals, needs and solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities; excels at teamwork.
- Proficient in MS Office-based applications.
- This is an “in-office” position. While occasional, reasonable requests for telecommuting will be accommodated, a regular out-of-office telecommute schedule is not Gilead’s policy and is not a viable option for this position.
- Travel Requirements: Domestic and occasional international travel associated with litigation-related activities will be required, typically not exceeding about 15% annually.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?mMoDYmYF%2b%2f0iwLIeCfE0oAa