Executive Director, Program Strategy Leader
United States – California – Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company’s mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Program Strategy Leader (PSL) is accountable for leading a cross-functional team to advance one or more programs through clinical and technical development; regulatory submission; manufacturing; and commercialization. The PSL serves to integrate cross-functional input, synthesize team recommendations, and direct the program through corporate governance, while maintaining adherence to timelines and budget. Lastly, PSL is expected to maintain consistent, multi-level communication with Development Team Members, Commercial Team Members, Manufacturing Team Members, and others including Senior Management, and the Executive Team.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to develop comprehensive product development and lifecycle management plans (Non-Clinical, Clinical, CMC, Regulatory, Commercial) that optimize: value, time, resources, risk, and alignment with business objectives
- In collaboration with cross-functional team and working closely with Project Management:
- Develop and implement product development and lifecycle management plans
- Develop vision and strategy for the asset and a plan to achieve potential
- Identify and manage critical path activities and resources
- Identify and manage interdependencies and hand-offs
- Identify and proactively mitigate roadblocks
- Identify and document risks, likelihoods, severities, and key mitigations
- Lead contingency planning
- Capture and communicate progress; escalate potential delays with proposed solutions
- Direct programs through corporate governance to ensure that:
- Projects have adequate resources and technical expertise to meet strategic objectives
- Issues are raised, discussed, and resolved in a timely manner
- Project teams receive management decisions in a timely manner
- Programs adhere to agreed-upon scope, timelines, resources, and budget
- Accountable for clear and timely communication about the program throughout the enterprise such as via: agendas, minutes, townhalls and other communication methods
- Responsible for facilitating Program Strategy Team meetings and working with Development Team Leader, Commercial Team Leader, and other Sub-team Leaders to ensure sub-teams and PST are working in alignment on strategic and operational topics.
- Present project updates, strategic issues, options, and recommendations to the Portfolio Committee
- The PSL is responsible to contribute to the development of cross-functional team members; to freely share expertise and help identify opportunities for team members to grow as leaders
- Develop and implement product development and lifecycle management plans
- The PSL must have the ability to drive the development of drug candidates into therapeutics that can be filed, approved by regulatory agencies, manufactured, and successfully commercialized.
- May work with Development and Commercial Therapeutic Area Leaders to define the disease area strategy for discovery and early development in that area and execute on a business plan with clear deliverables and resource needs. This includes defining priorities and an approach to leveraging external opportunities in close collaboration with External Innovation, Business Development and academic experts.
- Drive close alignment among research, development, and commercial groups to ensure the focus and prioritization of assets that are considered to provide the greatest clinical/medical as well as commercial value in the long-term.
- Communication: Advocates on behalf of Gilead and effectively communicates scientific/medical/clinical concepts in both written and oral communication to both internal and external stakeholders
Capabilities and Requirements:
- Strong leadership skills from leading cross-functional teams in a matrix organization, with highly collaborative instincts and a track record of resolving conflicts within the team
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clinical scientists, biologists, manufacturing experts, as well as with regulatory and commercial colleagues at all levels of the organization
- High degree of organizational awareness and understanding of change management and leading innovation
- You have significant depth and breadth of experience including that enable you to immediately bring considerable strategic value to a project
- You have robust drug development experience and understand what it takes to shepherd a molecule through its lifecycle to realize maximum value for its targeted population(s) and Gilead
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline; advanced or professional degree highly desirable (e.g., PhD, MD, or MBA)
- 10+ years of bio-pharmaceutical industry experience with at least 8 years of relevant work experiences in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Must demonstrate knowledge of the overall drug development process relevant to biotech/ pharmaceutical companies; early drug development experience is highly desirable.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?8yptlZGfKSbHMUkF18YDSwr