The Chief Operating Officer (COO) manages the entire day-to-day operations of the organization. In that capacity, they will be responsible for the oversight of a current full-time team of three, responsible for the finance, fellowship administration and programs of the organization, as well as consultants engaged in managing projects, communications and marketing. As the organization’s COO, this individual will be expected to drive the effectiveness and efficiency of the institution’s people, processes and systems to ensure we have the best infrastructure to support sustained, aggressive growth. Reporting to the CEO, the expectation is that this individual will be a member of the organization’s senior team and as such will be engaged in strategic conversations around the organization’s growth. Specific activities that the position will support include, but are not limited to the following:
• Managing the fellowship application cycle process
• Managing the relationship of our third-party application development team (Fulcrum) on supporting our online portal
• Managing communications with all constituents through the website, email and social media platforms
• Managing the Getting Ready for Advanced Degrees Laboratory (GRAD Lab) workshop
• Managing the Future Faculty and Professionals (FFP) Symposium
• Managing all grant-related administration
• Overseeing organizational financial activity to present to the CEO
• Managing all operations around the annual conference
• Managing all organizational contracts
• Managing all office space related activities (cleaning etc.)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Serve as a member on the organization’s senior team to help drive the organization’s overall strategy.
2. Provide guidance on best practices for organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
3. Provide guidance and leadership around goals and objectives to all operational staff to ensure proper goals alignment within the organization.
1. Participate in regular senior team meetings (weekly supervisors, rotation meetings).
2. Respond to escalated issues around operations.
3. Manage the development and coordination of promotional mailings and other initiatives for specified program areas.
4. Manage an effective communication network for the organization.
5. Provide a dashboard of operations so that senior team members can easily understand whether initiatives are properly supported and on time.
1. Understand the overall goals and objectives of all programs.
2. Manage procedures to evaluate and measure programs.
3. Manage an accurate database of all constituents.
4. Support development and evaluation of the data management system.
5. Make recommendations on tools and technology upgrades that support optimal program performance and measurement.
6. Manage the Implementation of advertising/promotion plans for programs.
Required Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
M.S., M.A. desired, but not required (Background in science, engineering, business, or program development and management, a plus); or three years or more related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience in project and/or database management is a plus. Experience in the development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of fellowship/ scholarship or professional development programs for students are also a plus.
Must possess good oral and written communication skills, and organization skills. Word processing and database skills required. Must have ability to work in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment with minimal supervision. Must have the ability to take initiative to solve problems and be able to handle and prioritize multiple projects. Must have some experience with short-term strategic planning and goal setting. Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Adobe Acrobat. Creative and critical thinking skills are desired. Proficiency in social media engagement is a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and accounting.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of basic Microsoft word software or similar; Spreadsheet software; Database software and Contact Management systems.
Occasional travel is required to board meetings or program-related events as assigned by the CEO.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?O%2bwhDB%2f2aAb9d7yESapCDgq