Do you want to be part of the world’s leading energy consulting firm?
Are you committed to address climate change and positively impact society and the world?
Do you enjoy collaborating with colleagues and clients, and thrive in a dynamic and respectful environment?
Would you like to influence the solar industry and have the opportunity to grow and thrive as a thought leader?
Then an engineering position on our Solar Independent Engineering and Technology Team could be a great fit for you!
DNV GL – Energy is seeking a Solar Racking and Tracker Senior Engineer to join our Solar Independent Engineering and Technology team. DNV GL is the world’s leading renewable energy consultant, and our respected staff are viewed as experts and thought leaders in the industry. DNV GL’s Solar IE and Technology team holds a substantial market position in North America as a leading provider of independent engineering services to support the financing and construction of solar energy projects. In this role, our team provides technical consulting and due diligence on behalf of project developers, financial institutions, and investors who rely on our reports in making investment and risk assessment decisions. This solar technology team also takes a leading role in conference participation, participation in codes/standards committees, and in establishing internal and industry guidance on assessing technology risk for our teams in North America and globally. Renewables Advisory is a high-performing, innovative team that strives for equity, respect, and diversity.
As a member of the Solar Technology team, the successful candidate will be a thought leader at DNV GL in the field of tracker technology, testing and operations, and will provide technical advisory and other consulting services associated with mounting systems used in solar projects. The work will include technical due diligence of solar PV trackers and mounting systems for use in pre-construction, construction and operational projects on behalf of lenders and investors. This position will also provide technical support and advisory services to project developers and product manufacturers, including bankability studies, failure analyses, and support for RFPs and technical specifications. The role will include working with product manufacturers to opine on product design and expected reliability, and managing relationships with applicable manufacturers and other stakeholders.
Performing technical reviews requires the ability to assess detailed aspects of PV racking and tracker design including wind, seismic, and snow loading considerations, drive systems, control systems and tracking algorithms. The technical review will include evaluation with respect to relevant codes and standards. The successful candidate should be familiar with the major suppliers of PV mounting systems and with the primary technical differences between products and market segments.
This position is based out of our San Diego CA, Portland OR, Oakland CA, Seattle WA, Austin TX, Chalfont PA, OR Medford, MA offices. Remote locations may also be considered.
Tasks May Include
- Provide technical expertise concerning the design, manufacturing, testing and/or modeling of solar PV racking and trackers via technical reports, presentations, and correspondance.
- Assess product design and manufacturing methods including aspects of structural adequacy, wind loading, drive systems and control systems.
- Review manufacturing facilities for compliance with quality/safety procedures and practices.
- Employ excellent English-language written and verbal communications skills to provide technical advice to customers including commenting on design, reliability, and cost aspects of solar PV trackers and mounting systems, and reviewing and commenting on engineering documentation relating to:
- Materials specifications and impact on expected performance and reliability
- Structural, civil and mechanical details
- Wind loading, including static and dynamic response
- Wind tunnel testing
- Reliability testing including operational and accelerated wear testing of all components and assemblies
- Regulatory compliance (UL 2703/3703, IEC 62817, AHJ approvals etc.)
- Relate the results of the tracker and mounting system to broader technical due diligence scopes by making recommendations regarding commercial and technical risk mitigation and financial model assumptions for investors, lenders, developers and owners in a relatable manner.
- Manage stakeholder relationships to develop new business opportunities and promote complementary services from other parts of DNV GL, including preparing scopes of work for technical services.
- Work as a supportive team member in a collaborative environment, as well as on self-directed independent projects.
- Conduct occasional site or factory visits, including climbing ladders for roof-mounted solar installations, and carrying equipment for short durations.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in mechanical, structural, or civil engineering, physics, materials science, or related degree. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the design, testing and/or modelling of solar PV trackers and mounting systems
- Familiarity with design standards, load calculations, and test reports used in the PV industry.
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with UL 1703, UL 2703, UL 3703, IEC 62817, SEAOC PV-2, ASCE 7 required
- Experience reviewing wind tunnel test reports, static and dynamic load calculations and application of dynamic amplification factors
- Knowledge of typical equipment technical specifications and common failure modes of roof and ground-mounted, fixed and tracking PV mounting systems is desired
- Working understanding of tracking system algorithms including backtracking and optimized tracking
- Must be able to obtain a valid passport and visas for travel to Europe, China, Japan and Canada
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Additional preferred skills and experience include:
- Familiarity with simulation tools/libraries such as PVsyst, SAM, PVLib
- Familiarity with R, python or other programming languages
- Some background in uncertainty, probability and statistics
- Experience reviewing EPC and O&M contracts
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills, including ability to write clear and detailed technical reports, presentations, and emails, and to clearly communicate complex technical issues to a non-technical audience
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see:
Please visit our website at
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?oou9in%2bIVn3D4Kaps5WcNgw