Position Purpose: Member of the Breastfeeding Center clinical team with a specialized knowledge and clinical expertise in breastfeeding and human lactation that provides excellent patient care, adequate and professional healthcare advice, and promotes efficient patient flow.Performs a variety of duties in accordance with federal, state and local regulations along with established priorities and procedures of the Practice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to):
- Actively promotes breastfeeding and assists mothers in reaching their own goals for breastfeeding
- Implements standards of care and guidelines for assisting breastfeeding mothers within the practice
- Obtains and manages suitable educational materials to facilitate patient understanding of content
- Assesses patient and family emotional, cognitive, social and motivational status relative to learning and determines their educational needs and priorities
- Adjusts teaching plan to meet patient and family needs
- Documents patient/family education and progress in accordance with practice standards within the EHR
- Maintains professional growth in the area of educational techniques to promote quality patient education
- Evaluates equipment related to breastfeeding and assists in maintaining clinical space
- Communicates with providers regarding mother/patient condition and disposition and documents events appropriately
- Demonstrates strong skills in patient care advocacy
- Respects the privacy of patients by maintaining patient confidentiality at all times
- Accurately documents on internal lab and donor breast milk logs
- Accurately completes requested patient paperwork in a timely fashion, per practice policy
- Attends annual competencies for in office procedures/skills
- Knowledgeable of retail items and competency to perform retail transactions if needed
- Attends BFC staff meetings
- Performs tasks for clinical staff/providers as delegated by the BFC Manager
- Performs special projects for the Leadership Team as necessary
- Organizes, plans, and manages time effectively
- Completes all mandatory training as required
- Attends staff meetings as required
- Meets position requirements and performs essential functions
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Independently assesses patient’s breastfeeding condition and uses judgment to determine health care needs and appropriate action to be taken
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to deviation from normal
- Counsels and provides guidance on proper breastfeeding techniques
- Makes decisions and develops breastfeeding plan based on interpretation of the data and observations
- Assists and provides support to patients/families as necessary in obtaining services to aid in breastfeeding
- Assists providers and BFTs with patient care, including minor in office procedures
- Accurately performs pediatric and maternal vital signs and responds appropriately to abnormal values
- Ensures documentation meets COLA requirements
- Accurately performs both moderate complexity and CLIA waived lab tests
- Ensures documentation in EHR is timely, accurate and correlates with visit documentation to ensure effective clinic flow and expedited claims
- Skilled at performing finger/heel stick
- Maintains a follow-up system, as needed, of continuing care for mothers/patients receiving consults
- Recognizes sub-optimal changes in status and symptoms that require follow-up and reports to the provider
- Provides excellence in customer service, including addressing callers in a clear and pleasant voice
- Delivers accurate advice regarding patient care following Barton Schmitt Pediatric Triage Telephone Protocols
- Schedules/reschedules/cancels patients properly according to provider scheduling guidelines
- Creates patient cases to appropriately address patient needs, sending to provider when needed
- Registers a new patient accurately, completing all demographic fields required, including insurance information and checking eligibility
- Diligently informs patients/parents/guardians of office policies regarding general office information and vaccines
- Maintains knowledge of account balances and recognizes when to contact the billing department
Expectations of all Employees:
Quality and Customer Satisfaction:
- Demonstrates commitment to superior customer experiences with a service-oriented attitude.
- Collaborates with others to coordinate care, resolve concerns, and address the needs of patients, family members, physicians, and employees.
- Always communicates professionally and appropriately.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude with all work-related contacts
- Demonstrates behaviors that support and uphold CPA’s purpose to nurture and champion the health of all children and their families by acting as compassionate, relentless advocate for every patient and family member.
Accountability and Productivity:
- Adheres to all CPA’s Policies and Procedures
- Consistently reports to work on time and prepared to perform duties of the position
- Accepts responsibility for decisions and actions
- Adheres to regulatory and company policies and procedures.
- Respects and considers patient rights to privacy and complies with all HIPAA guidelines for maintaining confidentiality.
- Compliance with all OSHA, DHEC and Practice safety standards
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) preferred
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the physiology and clinical management of breastfeeding
- Ability to provide information with consideration of mental, emotional, cultural, social and physical factors
- Ability to recognize adverse signs/symptoms and to react swiftly and appropriately in emergent situations
- Ability to utilize the principles of pediatric telephone screening, advice, communications and documentation, including Barton Schmitt Protocols
- Positive organizational skills
- Ability to work well with others as a team
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior medical practice experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of computer applications. Prior experience with EMR preferred.
- Ability to speak, read and write effectively.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines, in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Must have good visual acuity and ability to verbally communicate. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The ability to lift, lower, push, pull and retrieve objects weighing a minimum 5 lbs. frequently.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and bodily fluids may be required.
- May at times work under stressful situations.
- ADA Compliant
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/ATSApply.aspx?L61lcg86dESPWifQymcrKAx