Amgen has an Associate Paralegal opening that provides administrative and paralegal support for patent matters under the supervision of an attorney and in coordination with other paralegals.
The position is based at Amgen’s corporate headquarters campus in Thousand Oaks, California, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the position can initially be based remotely until staff in this role return to work at the Thousand Oaks site.
- Assist with the preparation, filing (including e-filing), prosecution, and maintenance of US and foreign patent applications. The paralegal may prepare draft correspondence; obtain references, patents, and file histories; set-up files and databases; and prepare prosecution documents such as IDS, assignments, powers of attorney, and proofread documents.
- Prepare patent family trees and claim charts
- Document organization for oppositions, Inter Partes Reviews, interferences, and preparatory global litigation work and maintain other filing systems (including electronic databases)
- Draft correspondence and engagement letters, obtain case law, organize materials, and assemble binders
- Schedule meetings including video conferences, coordinating travel arrangements, and utilizing on-line services (document orders, shipping, office supplies, and expense reports)
- Track budgetary spend and invoices
- Set-up case watches, prepare power point presentations, word processing, copying, and scanning
- Interact with outside counsel, internal counsel, paralegals, and scientists
- Bachelor’s degree OR
- Associate’s degree and 4 years of legal experience OR
- High school diploma / GED and 6 years of legal experience
- Patent prosecution or patent litigation experience in a secretarial or paralegal position or litigation experience in a paralegal role, preferably in a law firm or corporate law department
- 3+ years of experience in a law firm
- Paralegal certification
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and manage several projects simultaneously
- Resourceful, creative, flexible, and great teammate
- Patent experience with USPTO and EPO websites and litigation management software systems
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and knowledge of Sharepoint
If you’re seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you’ll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.