AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at . on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Director, Media Relations develops and executes communication strategies to promote and protect AbbVie’s reputation focusing on media and other external stakeholders. This leader and their team provide strategic media relations leadership, planning, and tactical implementation for both day-to-day and high-risk situations.
AbbVie’s corporate media storytelling
- Leads the company’s media enterprise storytelling program to generate media coverage and, in partnership with the executive communications team, support the elevation of executive voices and SMEs across earned media.
- Demonstrates a deep knowledge of AbbVie, the business, global issues and ability to clearly articulate AbbVie’s mission, strategy, and goals to the media.
Corporate media relations
- Leads the team that fields majority of incoming media inquiries for the company and advises other colleagues on media engagement in business areas.
- Builds and maintain a wide network of reporter relationships that will benefit the company’s reputation. Tracks the discussion externally to better advise and inform company positions and strategies.
- Leads team responsible for uploading of all press releases for AbbVie and enterprise account management with Cision/PR Newswire on behalf of broader Corporate Responsibility Brand and Communications organization.
Proactive public affairs communications strategy
- Provide media and social media intelligence to government affairs (GA), enabling GA to measure, and if needed, target their response to key policy issues and public discussions.
- Liaise on media inquiries on government-related topics, working closely with Government Affairs, Legal, Regulatory and U.S. Public Affairs colleagues to align on AbbVie’s position.
- Provide counsel to federal & state government affairs teams on media implications of legislation at the state and federal level.
- Engage with key trade associations to ensure that the company has insight into and shares its perspective on a wide variety of issues impacting the industry. Work with trade association colleagues to help shape communication strategies on key issues of importance to AbbVie and the broader pharmaceutical industry.
- Advise on a host of internal and external communications generated by government affairs, including those shared with policymakers and regulators. Secure necessary approvals and ensure alignment with the broader organization.
- Work closely with the AbbVie PAC to create materials to engage PAC members and the broader U.S. employee population on topics impacting the biopharmaceutical industry and AbbVie in particular.
- Work with Government Affairs on high-profile initiatives, such as congressional briefings and hearings with policymakers and legislators, partnering to proactively share AbbVie’s perspective and actively work to mitigate any damage to the company’s reputation.
- Leads strategy and execution of corporate crisis communications, including helping inform and advice senior leaders, managing media relations approach and working collaboratively with relevant team.
- Helps the company stay ahead of crises by thinking proactively about issues and driving conversation with internal stakeholders about potential responses.
- Serve as key spokesperson and media communications expert during crises.
- Responsible for planning and executing a crisis drill 1-2 times per year with the broader CRBC organization.
- Responsible for maintaining the Crisis Plan and relevant Crisis Action Teams (CAT) made up by members of the broader CRBC organization
Media monitoring and executive awareness efforts
- Develops strategic approach to media monitoring and executive awareness.
- Ensures that executive leadership is aware of key media coverage, through routine daily and real-time updates.
- Manages the vendor partnership with the company’s media monitoring service.
- Work with the legal team to anticipate and respond to, as necessary, media inquires on litigation issues.
- Educate reporters, as necessary, on significant litigation matters to ensure that the company’s perspective is included in any media coverage.
- Earnings: Works closely with Investor Relations on all internal and external communications aspects of quarterly earnings.
- Provides appropriate and relevant updates to affiliates and CRBC colleagues.
- Responds to media inquiries working closely with Investor Relations to ensure accuracy of information.
Deals and partnership announcements
- Works with Business Development and Alliance Management on all deal and partnership press releases and announcements.
- Works closely with the Communications teams of external partners to execute on content, timing and appropriate media outreach surrounding announcement.
- Ability to create and execute a successful media relations program tied to the company’s mission and strategy.
- Experience providing counsel to senior executives on external messaging and strategy.
- Exceptional writing and research skills.
- Crisis communications experience with a track record of successfully planning for and publicly addressing high profile business topics with press, employees and key stakeholders.
- A creative thinker who strives to think outside the box but always to the benefit of the business.
- Highly organized, with attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and ability to work under pressure with multiple, shifting priorities.
- An experienced leader with a demonstrated ability and interest in developing team members and fostering and a high-performance, supportive and inclusive environment.
- Embrace and model AbbVie’s principles and the Ways We Work (All For One, AbbVie, Decide Smart and Sure, Agile and Accountable, Clear and Courageous and Make Possibilities Real).
- Comfortable operating in an agile environment, but also possess solid experience successfully navigating the complexities of a large organization.
- Experience managing external partnerships to maximize the company’s investment in those resources.
- Demonstrated ability to stay calm in high pressure situations.
- Possess a thorough understanding/awareness of leading/emerging PR tactics and techniques to maximize impact.
- Bachelor’s Degree (emphasis in communications, marketing, business, public relations or journalism preferred)
- 15+ experience in a high-level media-focused and/or communications environment
- Have proven results in proactive media engagement
- Strong business acumen, including strong corporate finance communication experience
- Experience working in a healthcare
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?BgXtmRZH7LSiWkgCGE6PgAs