AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at . on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
AbbVie is proud to offer highly-qualified first-year law students with an interest in patent law and diversity an exciting opportunity to join our legal department for an immersive summer internship program at our North Chicago, Lake County, Illinois headquarters or our Worcester, Massachusetts location full-time for 10 weeks this summer.
As an AbbVie Experiential Intern, you will participate in a paid, 10-week summer program focused on providing students with robust projects throughout the summer. As an intern, you will be located at either our corporate headquarters in north suburban Chicago or our Worcester, Massachusetts location, with housing and shuttle services for eligible students. Our hope is to conduct this internship in-person. AbbVie has thorough safety measures in place to protect our employees and guests. However, we continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation. Should we deem it not safe in the coming months to host this experience in-person, or if you require a virtual experience, we will always work to accommodate, as applicable, to assure your safety and the safety of others.
Interns will be immersed in AbbVie’s in-house patent prosecution and litigation legal team learning about, and handling, real-world patent matters in close coordination with AbbVie attorneys.
Interns will have substantive exposure to a wide variety of prosecution and litigation-related tasks under the supervision of AbbVie attorneys, which may include managing a patent prosecution docket, performing opinion work, analyzing freedom-to-operate issues, drafting contracts, evaluating issues related to biopharmaceutical patent litigation, observing litigation events such as hearings or depositions, and participating in strategy meetings with in-house and outside counsel. Interns will also receive support to help prepare them for the patent bar examination before the USPTO.
Patent law interns will partner closely with a mentor attorney who will provide ongoing guidance and professional development. They will also have an opportunity to meet AbbVie’s outside prosecution and litigation counsel and participate in a variety of other valuable networking opportunities. The scholar will also be encouraged to provide their valuable input on initiatives aimed at enhancing diversity in the legal profession as a whole.
By the end of the summer, interns should have attained:
- practical experience working for a global, biopharmaceutical company in an interesting and evolving area of law,
- an understanding of how in-house attorneys provide value to their company as trusted advisors to the business, and
- leadership opportunities and experience building business relationships effectively.
- Enrolled law students who will complete their first year (1L) at an ABAaccredited law school during 2
- Must be enrolled in school the semester following your internship
- Demonstrated interest in diversity and inclusion in the legal profession
- Interest in patent law; at least a bachelor’s degree in a scientific or engineering discipline preferred
- Ability to perform complex legal research and analysis
- Excellent communication, leadership, and project management skills
- Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.0/4.0 in law school or equivalent; strong academic background
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis without requiring sponsorship (students on an F1 visa with CPT can be accommodated).
How to Apply? Please provide the following in your application for your application to be reviewed:
- Current resume
- A brief letter explaining your interest in the AbbVie 1L Patent Legal Academy Program, including as it relates to promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession or greater community.
- An unofficial law school transcript If your first semester grades are not available when you apply, you may submit your application without your law school transcript. As soon as your grades become available, please upload it to your application and email the documentation to Legal Resources.
- Undergraduate and other graduate school transcripts are optional.
- Application materials should be uploaded in your application through the AbbVie Career Site and emailed to .
- Preference will be given to applications received by January 18, 2021.
Salary: Selected legal academy scholars will be paid $1,400 per week for the 10-week program ($14,000).
AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information. At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients.
- Significant Work Activities and Conditions: Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8-hour day)
- Travel: No
- Job Type: Internship
- Schedule: Full-time
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?3p15RJMVILyZWmnh%2fBpNVwr