Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB’s Electrification business is a leading provider of a full range of protection, control and measurement solutions – enabling safer and smarter electricity flow from substation to the point of consumption. We deliver products and systems designed to connect, protect and control electrical systems, ensuring reliability, efficiency and safety for equipment and personnel.
Our R&D engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders.
This role reports to PE Department Manager and is located at Raleigh, North Carolina. As a Scientist, you will be responsible to work with team members in ABB’s global R&D community, suppliers of novel technologies for power electronics applications and collaborators in partner companies and universities. We encourage personal initiative and entrepreneurial behavior and in return offer a challenging and rewarding work environment.
- Scouting new technologies, creating proposals and getting buy-in from sponsors.
- Assessing new technologies for a variety of applications (motor drives, power supplies, grid connected converters and more).
- Developing technical requirements and creating new designs.
- Designing electronic circuits and printed circuit boards.
- Selecting components and engaging suppliers.
- Building and testing simulation models and hardware demonstrators.
- Building test assemblies, running experiments and recording test data.
- Analyzing test data and optimizing the solutions.
- Preparing internal and external technical reports, presentations and publications.
- Writing invention disclosures and providing technical inputs for patent filings.
- Representing ABB in professional conferences and other events and Contributing to strategic planning activities.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with hands-on experience in building electrical circuits.
- Ability to solder and re-work printed circuit boards.
- Ability to use oscilloscopes, probes, meters and other basic lab equipment.
- Experience with PCB (Printed Circuit Board) design, especially using Altium or Cadence software.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.
- Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering in the field of Power Electronics or 3 years industry experience in the field would be preferred.
- Experience with writing firmware code for (Digital Signal Processor), MCUs (Micro Controller Unit) and FPGAs (Field-Programmable Gate Array).
- Experience with soft-switching or resonant converters.
- Experience with magnetics design, especially high frequency transformers.
- Experience with power electronics integration (mechanical design and Multiphysics software desired).
- Previous experience with writing proposals and securing R&D (Research and Development) funding.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly, work in international teams, and lead teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects or work packages within a bigger project.
- Demonstrated skills in effective communication and networking.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB’s career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1- or by sending an email to . Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
To Apply: https://www.jobg8.com/Traffic.aspx?YoougGHUlIAxperK8trLYwn