4D Molecular Therapeutics (4DMT) is a gene therapy company with a transformative discovery platform- Therapeutic Vector Evolution -that enables our “disease first” approach to product discovery and development, thereby allowing us to customize our AAV vectors to target specific tissue types associated with the underlying disease.
4DMT is focused on attracting and retaining the best people in the industry who identify with our mission and innovative results-driven approach. We offer an inspiring and collaborative environment that encourages individual contributions, recognizes performance in multiple ways, offers uniquely generous benefits, and provides challenging opportunities for career development. Join us in creating the ultimate gene therapy products to cure genetic diseases in children and adults. 4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville, CA.
The 4DMT process development team is looking for a talented scientist with experience in the design and implementation of gene and genome editing towards improving cell-based AAV production. The role allows for extensive creativity, innovation and opportunity to develop novel processes, allowing for extensive coordination within and across teams. You will work closely with your peers in downstream process development, the analytical team and colleagues in research. The group works closely with our counterparts in both manufacturing and research; exchanging scientific ideas, platform improvements and AAV expertise will be a frequent and encouraged activity.
- Lab & Experimental Activities: 65% of time
- Design studies that implement gene circuit design, homology-directed repair, single nucleotide polymorphisms, viral transgenesis and clonal selection/expansion to direct and control cell function
- Develop studies that mature process knowledge towards AAV structure/function
- and improve AAV production yields/product quality and other quality attributes
- Implement strategies to produce engineered cells that modulate AAV production and function
- Execute gene and genome edits using viral and non-viral methods, including transient transfection and electroporation
- Optimize transfection conditions: multiplexing engineered cell lines with improvements in media formulation, transfection adjuvants, cell and other critical process parameters
- Develop seed train, transfection and harvest processes with considerations towards reducing cost of goods and manufacturing
- Draft study designs, standard operating procedures and maintain an electronic lab notebook
- Cross-functional & communication : 35% of time
- Collaborate with process & analytical teams to screen and evaluate drug candidates across a range of indications
- Review and present data cross-functionally at department meetings and larger forums
- Maintain strong working relationships with external collaborators and/or CDMOs
- Contribute to a culture that embraces continuous learning, improvement and innovation
- Draft technical reports, contribute to IND sections and other regulatory documents
- Maintains current awareness and contributes to current scientific literature; actively applies new concepts and technologies
- PhD in molecular biology, cell biology virology, genetics or related field, or
- Master in molecular biology, cell biology, virology, genetics or related field
- PhD with 0-3 years (or Master’s with 5+ years) relevant experience
- Knowledgeable and hands-on experience with nucleic sequence design, cloning and cell-incorporation
- Experience modulating immortalized cell lines using methods that align with cGMP manufacturing
- Strong problem-solving, analytical skills and creativity
- Experimental study design, leveraging past studies and extracting from the scientific community
- Strong written and oral communication skills with experience presenting scientific information
- Excellent time management organizational skills, with ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a high-growth, fast-paced environment
- Work Location:
- This position requires the ability to work on location in the 4DMT lab at least 3-4 times a week. There may be some remote work during Shelter in Place.
- Once Shelter in Place has been lifted this will be full-time position at the 4DMT Emeryville location
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities